The Significance of Focus for Success

While I am still yet to achieve a lot of my goals, I do feel fulfilled in a lot of areas and I am thankful to God for them.

What did it take to achieve most of my life goals thus far?

An absolutely predictable and perhaps boring lifestyle, at least as my son and few people describe my pattern.

I am predictable. I am habitual. Outside of work and everyday responsibilities, I only live and breathe people development. My schedule is boring. My life is boring. But, this “boring life enables me to accomplish some amazing things. And, here’s how you can do the same with your own goals.

Say “No” More Often
My life is built on this word. “No” to this. “No” to that. It is a life built around sacrifice and saying “no.” “No” to distractions. “No” to lazy friends. “No” to late nights out. “No” to just about anything not related to my desire to enhance people’s capacities. This is how I get to the finish line.

There is Beauty in Compounding
Good habits compounded over a long, predictable, boring cycle produce magnificent results. Routine always wins. So, if you want to be a better at anything, let those good habits start to work for you right now. The longer you can let them compound, the greater the end result.

Embrace the Pain
This is probably the most important lesson. Being boring isn’t fun. It sucks, it is a lonely place to be and it’s painful. But it works. No one ever said achieving great goals was easy. In fact, it is quite the opposite. It requires stepping outside your comfort zone. It requires massive amounts of constructive criticism. Simply, it requires gold old-fashioned hard work.

At the end of the day, remember this: The most boring people are usually the most interesting people. So, if you want to be a great at anything, it is now time to start being boring by being focused on your pursuits to the detriment of all other distractions.

Comments

Popular Posts