The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership by Olusoji Oyawoye

A few years ago I participated in a study conducted by the Influencer, Weyinmi Jemide on The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership designed to gather information about my leadership behaviours and philosophy with particular focus on the business I run Resource Intermediaries Limited.

Please find below my thoughts on the subject matter.

1. Please, define leadership in your own words.
Leadership to me is relationship management or building with a honest motive.

2. What is your philosophy of leadership?
On a scale, the people factor is more important than the goal being pursued in my world. As an entrepreneur my philosophy of leadership is hinged on the believe that my people (staff) are the business.

3. How would you describe your leadership behaviours?
I go for the heart, again with honest intentions and not deceit and from my experience, that earns the authority to lead.
In all situations of leadership that I have found myself, I start by trying to understand the responsibility that has been entrusted to me. Thereafter I extract an understanding of what I am expected to achieve, and brake that down into actionable plans.
The next stage in my experience, the ability to communicate and paint the picture of the desired outcome to staff and all concerned and win their enthusiastic buy-in is the single most important part in a leaders strive for effectiveness.
In understanding my staff it is easier to delegate parts of the tasks according to observed strengths (inherent and attainable).

4. How do you set an example for others to follow?
I share expereince (mine and that of others i have read about, observed or studied). Really more like sharing practical testimonies from all works of life that show that the goals are attainable.
Then I lead by being in front and providing hands on coaching for as long as is necessary.

5. In what ways do you share the vision of your organisation’s future?
At the beggining of each financial year, executive management and representatives of all staff groupings meet over three days to review the past and strategise on the future. This forum provides a good platform for me to share my vision for the organisation and extract bye in a consultative manner.
Our detailed staff handbook (which is reviewed every five years) provides a clear picture of the contract with staff in pursuit of that future. In my opinion, that document aids greatly in realisation of our corporate goals.
Finally I encourage feedback. In addition to series of meetings with groups, I meet one on one twice a year with all staff over a week or more

6. How does your leadership responsibility require you to challenge the status quo?
The nature of business is dynamic. Consequently I respond to issues more as they occur than stay on a particular course of action without introspection. I really tend to have made the most progress in my career and entrepreneurial pursuits by challenging the status quo. I have paid high prices sometimes for my convictions, but on a scale of balance, I have achieved more than I have lost.

7. How do you enable your colleagues take action and express themselves?
Oh, I encourage initiative and typically allow room for errors. As a rule I do not sanction even when such expression of initiave costs the organisation financially, until the staff has done so at least three times in similar situations.
The truth is that a great part of the good mandates that we manage came from colleagues exercising their initiative freely.

8. What methods or channels do you apply in encouraging and recognising employees?
At every monthly performance review, staff and or departments that contributed significantly to the company's growth (not only in financial terms) are recognised and given letters of commendation.
Every 6 months staff that achieve such recognition at least three times in a half year are featured in our bi-annual inhouse magazine Skribble.
Our initiative to register a Cooperative and Multipurpose Society for staff was also with a view to motivate (encourage) staff.
All staff also by policy attend at least two external trainings per year, in addition to several other in house capacity building initiates. 
Every Monday I also send out vide email what is dubbed "My Thoughts" to all staff. The theme differs each week, ranging from work or life tips, coaching on specific current national or international happenings or just plain words of inspiration from my heart.
We also have quarterly TGIF events that vary from group visits to the cinema, beach outings, dance parties or dinners.

9. How do you learn as a leader?
I read books. principally, the Bible, books on leadership and or successful leaders. I observe nature and events happening all over the world and learn from them. That includes failures of others.
My membership of the International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP) of which I am an associate certifed outsourced professional member (aCOP) and that of the Institute of Directors of Nigeria (MIoD) and Fellow of Association of Outsourcing Professionals of Nigeria (fAOPN) all provide great learning opportunities from regular conferrences and seminars.

10. What else can you say about your leadership role?
Still evolving. A recent 360 degree evaluation for which I had 130 respondents for example revealed that I need to be bit more firm on the discipline side and more "social". Both strange though as I have always thought I was too firm and sociable enough.
My role as a leader though is principally to communicate the vision appropriately enough to elicit willing and passionate followership.
Above all though. I believe that the true measure of a leader is humility and the ability to recreate self and ensure continuity when out of the frame.

11. What advice would you give other leaders?
- Let go of your ego.
- Engage the people.
- Allow initiative.
- Show the way and guide.
- Let go of your power by delegating effectively.

Olusoji Oyawoye aCOP, MIoD, fAOPN
http://sojioyawoye.com
MD/CEO
Resource Intermediaries Limited

Comments

Popular Posts